HP&tDH072107

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

"Why don't you just get it over with and do heroin?"

Recently i have become aware of an addictive element in my personality. It has been with me for quite some time as i reminisce. Even in elementary school i would suck the marrow out of a particular recess activity and move on. From kickball, to four-square, to knockout, to soccer, to wall ball. They were all monthish-long addictions which i discarded after the novelty ran out. Since then, many others cycled through my life, some showing more longevity than others. Basketball, fantasy sports, ping pong, super smash bros (actually most new video games, most recently "burnout revenge" and "need for speed:underground"), AIM, blogging (clearly hasn't been a problem recently), poker, working out, Jack Bauer, Lost, Sufjan, writing, minesweeper, eBay, harry potter...That's what comes to mind right now. Pretty much all of these things still hold some place in my life, but in some sort of cycle one will inevitably emerge and for better or worse take up a disproportionately large amount of my time.

The titular quote came from my roommate last night. I just recently reduced significantly the amount of on-line gambling i take part in, partially due to frustration, partly due to the emotional stress, partly because i wanted some of that time back, but as with all the things mentioned above, i think i got bored with it. In an effort to find something else to do, i downloaded a minesweeper widget for my laptop and wouldn't quit until i beat it on expert (i know, i know, it's not that hard, but the mouse configuration on the Mac version is a little different and i hadn't played in at least a year, cut me some slack). i was staring intensely at the screen when my roommate walked in and with a shake of his head, sighed and uttered ""Why don't you just get it over with and do heroin?" Considering i had just watched "Trainspotting," this actually gave me something to think about. But if heroin got addicted to Jack Bauer, who knows what it would do to me. Pass.

I guess my long absence is somewhat explained by this post, but although i do intend to return to browsing the blogs and other web journals more often, i don't think this will be my next addiction. If you have any ideas, though, i'm game.

7 Comments:

Blogger the Opinionator said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:57 PM  
Blogger B. D. Mooneyham said...

Umm, you might have to change your blog title.

Speaking of addictions, I totally started a Settlers of Catan epidemic here at K-State.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Pureblood Prince said...

yeah...catan didn't really catch here...sadly...thanksgiving though...oh boy.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Pureblood Prince said...

what a pal, what a pal. Thanks paul for saving my credibility as future employers browse my webpage.

11:17 PM  
Blogger B. D. Mooneyham said...

Yea, "addiction" and "epidemic" don't really go together. What I mean to say is I got around ten people immediately hooked on Catan, and it's spreading off-campus as well.

That's probably better than even Wonder Woman could do. Or Batgirl. Does Evey count?

4:25 AM  
Blogger the Opinionator said...

Heroines are a good addiction...go for them one.

10:40 AM  
Blogger the Opinionator said...

wow, that was a terrible attempt at editing my post...

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Free counters provided by Andale.