HP&tDH072107

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

While, for the Most Part, Sitting

Surely she realizes i can hear her. Sureley she realizes that their conevrsation is the sole source of entertainment for the entire room full of patience-drained individuals waiting to be injected.
"Paying the bills? Ha! What bill has she ever paid. I tell you what, the CRACK bill haha."
"Amen mama, that woman has been ruining her life on crack ever since i was a youngun."
"Poor kids of hers, havin their lives ruined with no say of hteir own...i tell you what, that CRACK 'll do it to ya."

Is this for real? I'm sitting right here. Waiting. What else would i be doing in the waiting area. That's right, an area, way beyond the scope of a room. No room could contain the impatience, ire, and bitterness which sits stagnant in these ominous rows. Unlike waiting rooms, this area lacks the usual periodicals and expensive-looking (but acutally quite cheap) furniture. A sort of separate play area complete with colored mats and a television provide entertainment for the undisciplined rugrats who ignorantly wait to be vaccinated. One girl with raddy hair, part of which is in a very high pony tail, and inch-thick glasses (pink frames no less) is sporting a t-shirt with the following emblazened across her chest "LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSUIT OF BOYS." She is seven. I'm about to fall out of my chair. I am laughing visibly, and my fellow waiters must be wondering what is so funny. Honestly, i dont think any of them woudl get the joke if i told them. I am so different from all thee people, with the exception of one college aged girl in holy jeans who is here for a meningitis vaccination. Dorm rooms recommend it. She knows how ridiculous these people are, but doesnt understand that it is due to poor parenting. I suppose the gossipping ladieswere right abotu the whole crack thing. their parents probably screwed up too. Well, i know the mother's parents did, or at least her mom did, cuz she was part fo that earlier conversation. Who cusses up a storm when her grandson is on her lap? Awesome. Is there an idiot vaccination? I think it might be called tact. Fascinating.

I feel kind of bad because i am putting off an air of being better than these people. I'm not. I'm just not lost. These people most definitely are. Their use of "Jesus Christ" has nothing to do with a savior. Maybe these immunizatiosn will give them the time they need to see the light. Let's hope so.

Back to my entertainment. New members are wanderign into the area, and a convedrsation abotu the waiting has just begun, let's listen:
"Is that sign for real? HAs anybody really been waitign an entire hour?"
"Sista, i been here since 1." (it is 2:45)
"Well what are all these nurses doin?"
"Ole granny back there took little Aleo's records a while ago and said she'd make me a pink book, btu she's been gone a good 20 minutes."
"Prolly back there with scissors and construction paper makin it herself haha. Got a straight edge and a pen makin all the little boxes haha."
At this point i start laughing audibly, but only because of how hard these ladies are laughing at some bad joke they just made. But honestly, "granny" has taken quite a long time. And from what i currently observe, at least two of the nurses just walk back and forth betweeen two different rooms acting important. Have you ever found it ironic that lots of nurses are fat? That kind of concerns me right now. I think my odds of gettign a fat nurse are about 60-40. One ofthe members of the 40% minority is granny, and she doesnt seem to have great health either. Scary. Ok, well its been about 0 minutes and i need to be out of here by 3. Oh, there it is, my name. And what do ya know? I got one of the obese matrons whose expertise is healthcare.
"Just follow me back here. Whew, isn't it nice to get away fro mall those loud kids?"
"I didn't really mind, they were my entertainment."
"Well all i know is that if my kids were running around out there they would be in big trouble."
I want to make a comment about her inability to catch anything that ever bordered on a "running" state, but since she is wielding a tuberculosis-filled syringe, i keep silent.
"You ever had a TB skin test before?"
"No ma'am"
"Well they're not too bad. It's a really small needle"
"And hell is just a sauna." (i didnt really say that, but its kinda funny)
"Just make it quick." (that's still me).
She proceeds to swab my forearm with alcohol for a good ten seconds. That's nine seconds longer than any nurse has ever swabbed alcohol on me before. Maybe my forearm looked really dirty. I wouldn;t know. My head was already turned away. I never watch the penetration...yuck. Time for me to bust this joint, only to return in two days to find out if i have tuberculosis or not. I can only pray that the people will be this ridiculously white-trashy/gossipy/straight up hilarious on friday. Out.

5 Comments:

Blogger Staci said...

yea...i read the post. it was hilarious. people are so awesome. "Honestly, i dont think any of them would get the joke if i told them." so funny, true, & at that moment, discouraging. if nothing else, you can rest assured that your readers will get the joke.

5:24 PM  
Blogger incurable optimist said...

I saw a girl last week with a shirt that said, "My boyfriend kisses better than yours." i think she was 7 or 8.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Foolish Thing Nine said...

Man, I was slightly worried about having to get a vaccination before, now I'm just excited :)

8:17 AM  
Blogger Andrew Crandall said...

sometimes i wonder where these people come from, then i just get sad, and then i dont think about where these people come from ne more. satisfying? no. selfish? maybe. still really funny to hear about what i must be missing out on? oh yeah! ok. so there were probably many ways to better say that, i just chose not to allow myself to fall into that trap! im really going to miss you buddy! i hope to not be on TOO much when you are trying to get through. maybe just once one of those calls will be for me..?!

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope while we are sitting we can soon see a great healthcare system more improved and stronger to help many receive coverage.

12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Free counters provided by Andale.