HP&tDH072107

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Those we are Called to Love

"I dream of big eyes and batting lashes, the kind that don't need mascara."
"I dream during class usually."
"You don't dream during class, you stare, it's impolite really."
"You think she notices?"
"Does a chicken have lips?"
"..."
"I looked over during the lecture and you had tried to set your book up so if you glanced over the top you could see her reflection in the security mirror, but in no way could she have noticed...stalker material bud."
"You noticed the security mirror?"
"No, i just guessed."
"OK, well that's comforting. How did your interview go?"
"Good question, and one that requires a little time. My interviewer was a female. Quaint, right? I like to think it was Providence. This chick wasn't even looking at the paper during our conversation. Her big brown eyes and batting lashes were hypnotized by my command over the English language. She could ask me about the supposed oil crisis, and we would end up somewhere in Australia discussing their rivalry of the United States in men's swimming. i owned this job, had it in the bag like half-price strawberries in July. In the end she ended up writing her number on the back of her business card. I never even had to ask. It was that obvious."
"So you think you got the job?"
"Most definitely."
"When does it start?"
"Oh, i'm not going to take the job. i just wanted to see if i could get it...and her. That's all."
"Right, so does Jenny know about yourl little mental affair?"
"Which one?"
"Which mental affair?"
"No, which Jenny?"
"..."
"Both actually. Look, we don't need to talk about this. What we need to do is get you to stop staring into security mirrors and take some action."
"But inaction requires so much more self-control in this situation."
"Self control?"
"Don't worry, you probably haven't heard of it. Just come back to me in 10 years and tell me if it has found you."
"It won't"
"I wouldn't think so, but hey, miracles happen, even to those who don't want them to happen and even to those to whom we don't want them to happen."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is my DFWVotD?! ~Amy

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The chances that you'll ever read this comment are slim to none, but hey, like you said, "miracles happen." Hopefully it doesn't follow that you don't like me.
Well, you've just rivaled Orson Scott Card for my number one spot in my list of favorite authors. Let me know when you write a book, so I don't have to give my friends a website address everytime they ask who my favorite author is.
-Enoch

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... Just jobs 4 students

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Free counters provided by Andale.